Monday, February 21, 2011

Beep! Beep!

"Look at me!  I am soooooo big!"

We got Lilly a walker a little while back.  I've been waiting for her to get big enough to actually move it herself, and she's just starting to be able to do that.  Of course, I limit where and how long she uses the walker.  I don't want her anywhere near the stairs until I get some gates put up.  Apparently these new walkers have a brake device that is supposed to stop it if one wheel comes off the ground.  It also stops if she reaches a surface or level change.  For instance, I have to move the rugs out of the way if she is to pass by one. 

I find the hallway to be a good, safe place for her to practice.  It allows me to work on laundry down the hall or to work in her room and she can watch me from the walker.  This walker also has lots of fun lights, sounds, music, and buttons to push, and you may notice that I've attached a little toy for her as well.  She is SO HAPPY and SO PROUD of herself when she's in the walker.  It's the CUTEST thing! 

There is a whole controversy about the use of a walker--they can be dangerous and they don't actually help the baby learn to walk.  We've decided that limited, supervised use is just fine for us, at least for now.  If we see any reason to stop allowing her to use it, we'll do that.  As with so many things in life, I think moderation is the key.

"Weeeeeeee!  This is fun, fun, fun!"

4 comments:

  1. OMG, what a BIG girl she is. She is having a ball, isn't she. Soooooo cute! And look at that big grin on her face. She really does look so proud of herself. I know you guys are having fun watching her new accomplishments. Thank you for sharing; we love the pics. :) And you're right -- moderation is definitely the answer, with close supervision.
    Love, Mom Robins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walkers for babies have really changed a lot over the years. Both you and Terri loved being in your walker, as I recall, and there were no bells, whistles, toys, etc. Just the ability to scoot around was thrill enough! I'm glad that they have safety features now, but agree that baby gates are a priority at this point. Thanks so much for sharing the cute pictures and Lilly Kates' new accomplishments.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is such a DOLL. She brightens my day everytime I see her! Love, Kel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remembering Lilly's Grandmother Julia's days in a walker, she could run right up behind you and buckle your knees if you weren't aware she was approaching. It was quite liberating for her; she could go whizzing around all over the house.
    Love, Grandma Grace

    ReplyDelete