Yesterday we ventured out on foot to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. This walk begins at Boston Commons (above) and journeys through the city highlighting various buildings and landmarks of historical significance to the American Revolution. I took a number of pictures, so I'll post a few more. Here's another nice one of Boston Commons.
Isn't that pretty? Actually, both of these photos I just realized are technically the "Public Gardens," which are separated by a street from Boston Common, which is also a green place you walk through, but not quite as pretty as the gardens. Anyways, next stop was the State House, designed by Charles Bulfinch, a name you hear and see often in Boston. The State House is noted for it's big, gold dome.
We also passed a number of churches and burial grounds. Apparently the burial grounds were my favorite thing to take pictures of, as I took quite a few! These old graves are so cool! I really like some of the faces they carved in, and recently read a little article in Martha Stewart Living about the style of artwork on such old graves and how they evolved. (This was in the October issue, and had a tie-in to Halloween I'm sure.)
Hmmmm....for some reason, I am having a problem uploading photos to the blog tonight. I wanted to post some pictures of the burying grounds for you, but it's not working. Well, maybe I can post that one closer to Halloween! For now, I'll finish by saying that we completed most of the walk, which also led us by the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, and the Old North Church. (That's the church where they hung the lanterns "One if by land, Two if by sea..." ) We also went through Paul Revere's House, which was a bit of a disappointment, but boy is it old! It was 90 years old when Paul Revere bought it!!
Well, I was going to show you a picture of Paul Revere's house that I had already uploaded, but now it won't post that one either!!! AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! I'd better settle for what I already have and give up on the pictures for tonight. I just wanted to check in, as I feel like I'm falling behind. I have other cool stuff to share, like we went to Harvard today, and we drove out of Boston and are sleeping in Utica, New York tonight. (We're heading home, but we decided to drive instead of flying.) We are planning to hit Niagara Falls tomorrow, so that should be neat! I'm going to go ahead and turn in. I'm really tired, and maybe that's affecting my blogger abilities!
Thanks, Sherri. You're doing a great job of keeping us posted on where you are and what's there, and we look forward to whatever you are able to blog.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work.
Love, Grandma